“Sustainable Agriculture Models for the Romanian Mountain Area”
Project co-funded by a grant of Switzerland through the Swiss Contribution to the Enlarged European Union, under the Swiss – Romanian Cooperation Programme.
Project partners: SAB Switzerland (www.sab.ch), “Dorna” Mountain Farmers Federation (www.famdorna.ro), Open Fields Foundation (Former HEIFER Romania – www.openfields.ro), RoMontana (www.romontana.org)
Overall budget: 1.512.349 CHF
Implementation period: 2014 – 2016
Project’s goal: Developing agricultural models in the mountain area of Romania by integrating traditional activities into the modern economic system.
Outcome 1: The production factors of the traditional production system are strengthened
- Pasture management improving measures are created
- Six modern sheepshelter models built and operational in the test areas
Outcome 2: The market opportunities of traditional products are improved
- Product specification and technical assistance for 3 clusters of products are finalized
- Marketing study is developed
- Branding kit for mountain products developed and implemented
- Local, regional and national events to promote traditional products are realized
- Campaign for local products consumption is realised towards different target groups
Outcome 3: The competences of producers to diversify and modernize their production are improved
- New Curricula for shepherds, sheepfoldmasters and farmer organisations developed and implemented. Farmers associations are strengthened
- Exchange visits with Swiss partners to Switzerland and where appropriate to France and Spain are carried out
Outcome 4: Models and best practices are promoted and disseminated on a regional and national scale
- Assuring sustainability of results and dissemination of models.
- Best practices guide is elaborated
• Brochures developed during the project (chapters of the best practice guide):
Recipes and technical specifications
For extra details please visit the project’s website: www.carpatsheep.ro